10 May 2024

The Mirror and I

 



I am staring  at my reflection in the mirror cold

I don’t look alive nor dead – just extremely powerless and old.

I feel like I have been living a borrowed life

It’s so unfamiliar, it doesn’t feel like it belongs to me.

I bend my head; I cannot face my own gaze;

I am confused – is this my real image?

I have forgotten who I am...

What was the purpose of this existence of mine?

I am staring at my reflection in the mirror cold -

So painfully unknown, so carefully disregarded.

I am so lost; 

I don’t know when I obliterated my identity with such an ease

And in vain I keep screaming who am I?

Empty eyes – no spark detected – robotic glaze;

Mouth deadly shut – stitches gently hug the sealed lips – rag doll…

Is it because of the unspoken anger I have been holding on for far too long?

It is the unbearable fear hidden behind every warm smile – Kabuki Mask so fragile?

Let me look into these eyes again – still barren 

- And I keep asking who am I?

The pale face reflects it all – where is my place beneath the summer sun?

Icy blue eyes – soulless with a hint of self-harm, buried scarlet scars.

Let me circle back to the face - a mare effigy of time passed – all is covered with filth and thorns.

I keep looking in the mirror so bewildered, so mind-blown

How I missed the obvious signs of how slowly I am losing it all;

No happiness, no pain, no memories, no dreams.

Whom to blame for this cruel theft – is it me or someone else?

I keep staring in complete disbelief,

I keep looking for the answers but I am so tired of this game;

I am shattered, I keep falling apart bit by bit - again alone.

I am burned from the inside – all is ashes, all is dust.

And the inner wind is spreading every little piece I have left,

I can’t sustain further in this state any longer, I am completely gone.

….

No fear and no pain, I am the one to blame;

As the proverb says it – ashes to ashes and dust to dust.

My emotionless reflection is my burial ground, no need to commemorate it,

I don’t need symbolical grave stone.

At least now I know who I am – Phoenix is my middle name.

After every struggle I keep coming back stronger,

More agile to my inner torment, better than before.

And I will keep this dark mirror – for my previous selves it means disaster;

For my new reincarnations it means HOPE.