10 October 2026

SELF

 


That was nothing or maybe everything I chose to bury

A lifelong ache hidden underneath the ruins of what once I called SELF.

I can hardly say what happened, yet the scars slither across the skin,

Shameless marks of battles left unfinished, my strength overestimated.

I have become the monster I once hid from everyone,

As hard as stone, too emotionless, too heavy to be held.

Unable to accept myself, feeling distant from what I have grown up into,

Never brave enough to ask, staying blind to my inner darkness,

Leaving it to overtake me, so afraid to stop.

…

I decided to escape the prison, yet invisible walls surround me,

No caged windows – only shattered glass around me,

No chains hugging my arms, yet chained and numb, lying on the dirty ground.

I turned my back on that reflection, yet abandoned is my favourite state.

From whom am I still running – from the beasts I met or the person I have become?

Have I mistaken the emptiness for freedom,

Trying to convince what is left of me that a heart no longer beating is better than a broken one?

Have I ever been the prisoner or have I become the director of the final cut of my destruction?

Directing the movies of a happiness that never comes, composing songs that were never played or sung,

Always mistaking silence for that precious inner peace, yet I starve for a quick warm touch and whispered conversation.

Rehearsing yet again the forgotten plays written on dusty papers, art I never dared call my own.

A leading actress wearing a thousand faces, barely recognizing which one was her own,

Still avoiding being the focal point when it is time for the final frame.

The diaries of my existence are still read in front of empty halls,

Every song written is a confession left unfinished, never polished, always raw,

Every chorus – a desperate cry carefully hidden as the sweetest lullaby.

Have I become the villain of my own story, rewriting every line to justify the damage I have done?

Or maybe I am still in front of that mirror, countless faces – everything is just a fucking lie?

…

That was nothing or maybe everything I am still trying to bury

A lifelong ache hidden underneath the ruins of what once I called SELF.

I still write countless poems, yet the scars are still hugging me,

I try to compose a happy song, yet the melody is never to be heard,

Still rehearsing those plays wearing a thousand faces, yet never recognizing which one is mine,

I direct so many movies of a life I never lived, always cutting the crucial scenes – still hiding.

Am I the monster or the character of story I cannot finish?

Still as hard as stone, too emotionless to feel, still afraid of that reflection

And regardless of whether it is a poem, a song, a play or a short movie I create

I am hopelessly lost in the ruins of what I once called SELF!